The busy pregnancy days


The last few days have been overwhelmingly busy with things that need to be done, from packing my bags and having them at the bottom of the stairs to welcoming everyone home from overseas. Last week the whole family was away, my parents in law in SA, my parents in Bulgaria and only my husband with me. All of a sudden one night I started having contractions, but far far apart, every hour and a half apart. Whoever has said Braxton Hicks contractions are not sore, they are just speaking on behalf of their experience. Mine were painful and lasted about 2 minutes.

Anyway, thank goodness they were not real contractions and didn’t get closer together. My little baby is now 37 weeks to date and we counting the days to his arrival. He is booked for an induction on the 16th October, due to the obstetric cholestasis, which is going to be the beginning of the 39th week. We hope that it will not come to an induction, but that he will just decide to come on his own.

In order to help things along we have asked the midwife to perform a stretch and sweep, which is a process that clears the membranes near the cervix and stimulates the production of prostaglandins. In a mommy who has not had kiddies before this is sometimes not possible as the cervix is too far to reach. The midwives do only up to 3 attempts and hopefully this will help, however if it does not then you have to go through the induction process. Also to help baby along, I listened to advice from friends to start taking primrose oil from this week. We still doing the perineal massage, but we slacking a little with it.

I am still going to my regular 2 weekly appointments for CTG and bloods, but everything is coming out normal. I have to say the hospital was really chaotic on Monday, we were there for 4 hours and I ended up hooking myself onto the machine and talking the midwives through everything they needed to do. There actually only was one midwife and one health care assistant for the whole Triage area. They had cancelled the Day Assessment unit and sent all the patients up, there were stacks of women everywhere. Some were in distress and others were coming for the second time to a scheduled induction to find out there was no place. One lady was even having reduced fluid and reduced fetal movements. I felt it was such a dangerous environment to be in with no hands on deck. If I went into labour that day I think I would have to call in reinforcements. The phone rang non-stop and the triage desk was covered with notes. I felt the least I could do is help myself to get myself out of there.

We are eagerly anticipating our child and can’t wait to play with him now.

Going through all the baby stores you see tons of cute little clothes and toys. Probably so many that they aren’t even required. I held back today from buying a really cute warm suit for him. I am so thankful so many friends and family sent gifts for our little baby. Babies just grow so fast that I would suggest you be wary of how much you actually buy.

All in good time we will be a happy little family holding and hugging tightly.

Oh, and you know how they say babies at this stage sleep 95-99% and you should expect reduced movements, well my little boy is wiggling like mad and hasn’t stopped. Lots of kicks to let his mommy know he is there. It is kind of really cute.



2 thoughts on “The busy pregnancy days

  1. Hi there,
    I came across your blog when googling “obstetric cholestasis south africa”. I recently lost my baby to OC (my daughter was stillborn at 36 weeks), and although I am doing okay I would like to start a support group in SA and also start spreading the word. If you would like to connect, you can email me at babytori7(at)gmail(dot)com. I really wish you all the best for the safe arrival of your little one!
    Best wishes

    1. Hi there,
      I was really saddened to read the above post and at the same time very happy to see that you are willing to inform other people of this terrible condition during pregnancy. I would be more than happy to participate in the spreading of the word, sharing my experience and knowledge and support. I have just had my little one yesterday and must say I managed my care very closely, down to diet and medication when even the medical professionals didn’t know what to do. I am so disheartened with your outcome and would like to know what happened in order to try and help you. I am sure you are having a difficult time adjusting now, but maybe it is to bring hope and inspiration to so many others who have faced a similar predicament.

      All my love and best wishes x

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s